Wednesday 16 March 2016

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact Tablet




Late last year, Sony decided to restructure their business and pulled out of the Canadian market.  As a fan of their Xperia line of phones, it was disappointing to see.  I had read many good things about their tablets as well but they seemed so pricey to me.  I was very interested in their Z3 Compact Tablet but at a retail price of $499, it was too much to for me.  I have not been able to find any retailer that have this in their store and they were not available on Sony's Canadian site for some reason.



Up until then, I had been struggling with my Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 tablet.  I had to get the battery replaced after a few months of owning it and eventually the tablet decided its best function was to just reset itself constantly.  By now, I had enough of Samsung and their sub-par quality control for their mobile devices.  I had to get something else and it was definitely not going to be a Samsung device.

On a whim one day, I decided to check out Best Buy's website to see what they have available.  There were the usual offerings from my nemesis Samsung but I was quite surprised to see that they had the Z3 Compact Tablet available as an online only item.  It was also priced at $399.  I jumped on it and I never looked back.

The tablet has been wonderful to use since the beginning.  I basically use when I am lounging in bed or for some light gaming on top of the web browsing.  So far, I have had zero issues with this device.  And yes, I did test out the waterproof ability of this device by washing it a few times in the sink.

The device came installed with a few Sony apps but they were easily disabled.  After using two Nexus tablets, the Android experience is actually quite similar with the Z3.  Sony made very minimal changes to the Android OS for their devices unlike the bloated TouchWiz on Samsung machines.  Everything was snappy and I had noticed very little lag.

When I am ready to replace this tablet, I hope to get another Xperia device but unfortunately, it seems like many manufactures have moved away from the smaller sized 8" tablets.  In any case, I am curious to see what Sony will come up with in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment