Tuesday 3 July 2012

Visited the Dead

Chinese cemetery in Manado.
 
With only two days left in Manado, I decided to visit my relatives who had passed away today.  Many of them passed away while I was in Canada so the last time I saw them was the day I left Manado over twenty years ago.  My aunts, grandmother and many others were buried in several sites around the city so my cousins and I had several sites that we visited that took most of the morning.

Dark, smokey, and dirty coffee house.  Just like in Westerns.

Before we headed to the cemetery, we had breakfast at a tiny coffee shop not too far from the house.  This place was highly recommended by my father for their toast with coconut jam.  The food was delicious and I had a second helping of the toast but the establishment would have sent a Toronto health inspector into cardiac arrest.  As of this writing, i have yet to experience any tremors in my intestines so I guess I am fine.

The old cemetery. Colorfully painted.

Several of the grave sites was not known to the three of us so we had to resort to calling my father in Toronto for their location.  What was to be a somber visit for us was broken by my father's story of being attacked by a very angry and large goat when he visited the cemetery two months ago.  He told me to be careful of the goat over the phone and I could not help but laugh out loud.
Uh, guardian goat of the cemetery.
  
As if by magic, I finally did spot a goat atop the highest grave site.  The picture is pretty dark, but I assure you, the goat is under the canopy.  I am not sure if that is the same goat but  I took care not to get too close.

No comments:

Post a Comment