Monday 31 March 2014

Princeton Tec Switch Rail



My new toy came in the mail a few days ago and it took me some time before I managed to get around to test it out.  The following is a quick hands-on of the product.  I have yet to field test this and it may be some time before I can do that.

First of all, this item is specified as a "low signature task light."  That's just fancy talk for a low brightness light.  I suppose this would be useful for such things as "... stealth structure search, navigation and breaching operations."

In any case, I bought the black version with a red and IR LED.  There is also an option for white and IR combo, both available in black and tan bodies.  The visible is just that, about 10 lumens as the box says and the IR comes in two settings where one is low output and the second is higher.  The IR mode worked well when I tested with my PVS-14.  That's all I can say about that.  It is true this item does not compare to other combat lights but when you don't want to give away your position with light, this is the way to go.

As for the construction itself, it looks pretty sturdy so far but the battery compartment seem a little too thin.  You can see from the picture where the coin I used to turn it have made some minor scuffs.  Not exactly sure of the material used for the body but I will just say its plastic.  When mounted to your standard, run of the mill rail, there is a bit of play as the unit is only held in place by a single screw.  Its a bit annoying but it doesn't really detract from its use.

One press on the rubber button turns on the low IR and a second press turns on the higher output IR.  A two-second hold on the button turns on the visible light.  Another press turns it off.  Simple operation.

This is small enough and weight almost nothing that anyone can have one on their gun without having to worry about running out of real estate.  I think this will be useful for me when night fighting and doing building searches.  I hope this little unit can withstand the abuse.


No comments:

Post a Comment