Tuesday 19 April 2011

My Nintendo 3DS



After several weeks with my 3DS, I think I have spent enough time with it to give my thoughts of the system.  I purchased the system along with Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars several days after the release of the system from an independent game store. 
At $250 for the system and $39.99 for the game, the combination was not cheap.  Despite what some may say regarding Street Fighter IV as a system showcase, I chose the Ghost Recon game since its a turn based strategy game, and the fact that I'm terrible at Street Fighter.


On to the system itself, I chose the Aqua Blue version and to my shock, it is actually more green than blue.  The one nice surprise upon opening the box was the charging cradle that came with the system.  I stopped using the cradle since the battery life is quite short for the system, at only 3 to 4 hours of use with the 3D effect turned on. It was more convenient to have the charging cable plugged into the system.


I have yet to try the bundled software in the system such as Face Raiders and the augmented reality game since I am concentrated on Ghost Recon.  All I have done with the system was play the game, inserted a 16GB microSD card with some MP3 files to test its music capabilities, and used it as a step counter to see how many steps it took me to walk to my local Metro supermarket.  It counted 3300 steps for my round trip.  I have also done a single system update, supposedly to fix the black screen of death problems that some users have experienced.  I am eagerly waiting for the update to allow the online game shop to be activated.


Overall, I am quite happy with the purchase.  The price was a bit steep I find but the system have functioned perfectly and the game was not bad either.  I may still pick up Street Fighter as there are no games in the near future that I am interested in, until Zelda that is.

2 comments:

  1. How about the timeless franchise? Mario and Zelda in 3D are just some of the things gamers around the world are eager to see in this handheld. Now that it has further tipped 3D by setting the pace for 3D handheld gaming (with Sony Vita on its way), there's still a lot to expect and anticipate from the 3DS. From its upcoming games to whatever that's possibly done on 3D, the price pretty much covers it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, the Mario and Zelda franchises just does not draw me in like they used to. For me, it felt too much like the same old things. However, the new Animal Crossing looks very promising. i do hope Nintendo will focus more with newer IPs but I somehow doubt that.

    ReplyDelete