Saturday 26 May 2012

Plastic Buckle Replacement


Several weeks ago, at an airsoft game, I had one of the plastic buckles on my Blackhawk chest harness shot out.  It was one unexpected result from having almost everyone in attendance shooting at me at the same time.  Someone will eventually shoot something out.  In the above picture, a team mate had over engineered a complex system of paracord and random plastic junk to keep me combat effective for the day.

I was quite down for a bit as this was a favorite piece of gear of mine.  I have had it for several years and it was picked up while it was very cheap from the Blackhawk site.  After looking for a replacement, I was disappointed as it seems the OD version of this harness is no longer being made.  eBay items were three times the price of what I payed for mine.

Thinking I would have to settle with having the weird contraption hold one side of the harness, I noticed that Mountain Equipment Co-Op sell replacement buckles.  So yesterday, while there to purchase a new pair of shoes, I decided to look for the buckles.  Upon finding them, I noticed that these items have a unit measurement in millimeters.  Not quite sure, I decided to get one in 25mm and the next largest one of 38mm.  Luckily, after testing it when I got home, the 25mm was the exact one I needed.  A 50 cent piece of plastic have now saved me from buying a whole new kit.  I am happy and will test this out tonight at a game.



No comments:

Post a Comment