Tuesday 19 June 2012

Fish Hunting in the Mountain?


With guests expected to arrive for the wedding of my cousin, my uncle decided to add a few more Koi fishes to his fish pond at home.  With that mission, he drafted my cousin, his wife, and I to accompany him to the mountain villages in search of the perfect fishes.  Manado is surrounded in three sides with mountains and the ocean on the last side.  Which mountain we went to, I was not very sure of, but the road was long, winding and congested with traffic.

The areas on the mountains were mostly jungles with sporadic structures in between villages.  The air was much cleaner and cooler there as well.  It was more to my liking.  Closer to our destination, the view opened up to large ponds and rice paddies.  Even as a native, it was not something I had seen before.  My pictures did not do the scenery justice as it was quite breath taking.



It took several places before we were able to find the right fishes for the right price. Once there, my uncle picked up five and then off we went to find oxygen to supply the fish so they could make it back to town.  Overall, it was an all day excursion and it was tiring as a passenger.  I could only imagine how tiring it was for the driver as he had to navigate small roads with pot holes the size of small craters.  My uncle was satisfied and the fishes are now happily in his pond.


Below is either a strange spotted dog or someone was really bored and decided to add the spots to his dog.  I am not sure myself to be honest.  I should have inspected the dog closer but I was afraid of rabies and a possible zombie virus, so I didn't.  I could see that this dog was the leader of the pack, possibly due to his stylish spots since all the other dogs just followed him around.


4 comments:

  1. LOL, the spotted dog looks like a cheetah. :) Hmm... hunting fish in the mountains would be fun if you do it with your uncle, especially if the two of you find a Mullet - that would be so fun! Mullets are quite difficult to catch. Anyway, I wish you can post some of these Koi fish that your uncle added to his fish pond, that would be fun to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its too bad I did not take pictures of the caught fishes. I will have to fly back to Manado to do it next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay. With a big pond like that, I'm pretty sure your uncle has a lot of fish there. I agree with Dollie, but personally, Mullet's aren't that hard to catch. It’s the large bull head mullet is one impossible to catch on a line, actually.

      Delete
  3. In my years of experience, Mario, the best time for mullet fishing is during the incoming and outgoing tide of the new moon or last quarter. You'll see a swarm of them all over the water.

    ReplyDelete