Tuesday 26 June 2012

Hong Kong Airport


After 14.5 hours from Toronto on a Cathay Pacific flight, I arrived in Hong Kong at 3AM local time.  At that time, I was extremely sore, and extremely hungry.  I was held up for a bit at the security check as they wanted me to clear my pockets of things and my backpack as well.  A really small and cute girl who worked as a security agent told me to step on a mat as she prepared to scan me for any metallic objects.  Not knowing anything, I just assumed the normal position for being patted physically.  She told me to put my arms down and proceeded to wave her wand around until she was satisfied that I was not carrying any weapons or explosives.

It was quite a walk to my next departure point at the terminal and by that time, it was around 3:30AM.  There was not a single shop open and I was very hungry.  I had walked from one end of the terminal to the other end. I wanted to make sure I know where the gate would be for my next flight from HK to Jakarta.  I tried to venture out to seek food but a very long walk with a very heavy backpack made me turn back after a few minutes.


Sunrise in HK was actually very foggy that day and I was not able to take any worthwhile pictures from the waiting area.  It wasn't until after a not so satisfying meal of a turkey sandwich and a bottle of Coke worth $75HK that the fog lifted and I managed to take some pictures around the airport.  It was quite unique to see the mountains that surrounded three sides and the ocean on one side.  For someone who lived in Toronto for most of my life, it had been quite some time since I had seen a proper mountain of sorts.



Due to an early arrival, I waited at the airport for five hours.  I was able to eat some food from the first shop that opened at 6:30AM.  It was not great but not having anything to eat for twenty hours, any sort of food satisfied.  At boarding time, I noticed most, if not all the passengers were all Indonesians.  That was when it hit me that I was actually coming home.

Stay tuned for my four day adventure in Jakarta.

No comments:

Post a Comment