Thursday 14 June 2012

Fried Chickens


I have finally arrived in Manado after twenty one years of living in Toronto.  The small city had truly changed when I noticed that there was a McDonald's in the newly developed area along the beach.  As an avid eater of food, I had no choice but to try.  To my surprise, I ended up ordering fried chicken with rice there.  Not something that one would get normally at a North American outlet.  In any case, that was my dinner and I was hungry.

I insisted that this is truly weird for me as McDonald's do not carry this in NA, yet my cousins were quite surprised that they do not have fried chicken and rice in their menu.  It is not just this franchise apparently, A&W, Burger King, Wendy's have these common items in their Asian operations.  Their burgers are not as varied as I was used to and they are definitely on the 'these are smaller than the kids meal burgers'.


As a fan of the various types of fried chicken, I had to start my tour with my favourite, the one from KFC.  Their menu was not too weird, but their menu is also lacking.  In any case, the flavor is different and less salty than their NA counterpart.  I also find that the Indonesian recipe contain much more black peppers to the point of having a little kick to it.  It is still delicious regardless.  I ordered two portions of rice and some fries and perkedel, which are small potato and meat fritters that is quite common in the local cuisine.  The meal was so satisfying that I managed to actually get a full night's sleep afterwards.  Oh, yes, that is a real

Having the one at McDonald's the night after, I must say that the chicken at KFC is much tastier.  But I also had an order of McFlurry and some fries.  The portions are so small I was very tempted to have seconds but I decided against it.

My adventure in food sampling continues...

1 comment: