Wednesday 28 September 2011

Dragon Age II


I am pretty late to this but I was finally able to play and finish Dragon Age 2.  I really enjoyed the first game and although many people were displeased with the second, I find it still pretty enjoyable.  Going into this, I was worried that this game may go the Mass Effects 2 route where the game was severely dumbed down by removing much of the options going into the sequel.  In DA2, much stayed the same but there were many things that changed, thankfully not as drastic as the Mass Effects series.

Right from the beginning, DA2 only allow the player to play as a human where the original gave a selection of races from a human, a dwarf, and an elf.  Though the class system is still there.  I did my initial play-through as a warrior.  Equipping your party members have also been changed.  There are now no more secondary weapons that players can switch with quickly.  Armor cannot be freely changed but rather must purchase a specific piece from merchants or see some minor changes through developments in the story.  These are just some changes that really stood out for me.

The game itself felt shorter and more constrained compared to the first one.  Players are limited to one town, Kirkwall, and a few areas outside it.  I enjoyed the exploration aspect of the original but felt that the sequel was lackluster in that aspect.  I believe, all these changes were made to attract the casual players so it would appeal to wider audience.  Thus it alienated to players who enjoyed the original who felt the sequel was dumbed down.  This was the case with Mass Effects 2 as well, I felt.

Overall, I enjoy this game enough to start my second play-through as a Rogue class.  I hope the next game in the series will go back to its origin and create a more meatier experience rather than cater to a casual audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment