Tuesday 7 June 2011

New Console Revealed


So there you have it, the new Nintendo console, revealed this morning at Nintendo's E3 press conference.  Not too much was revealed though.  Some of the information speculated before the reveal was confirmed, such as the 1080P output and its actual name.  The Wii U.  Yup, that is the name.  Seriously, Nintendo.  Wii U?  Really?


And the image above is the controller.  I really don't know what to say about this.  In any case, very little was actually shown and no specs was revealed so for now, speculations continue.  There was also no games shown, and what was shown in the demo reel was thought to be the PS3 and the 360 versions.  Several tech demos was presented but I have come to not trust tech demos.  I am waiting to see some actual software running on the hardware before I can make judgement.  It was also revealed that the system is backwards compatible with the Wii and all of its accessories and controllers.

2 comments:

  1. I think the interesting thing about this console is that it might actually take off.
    The problem with the current console generation is that an upgrade to CPU/GPU won't be nearly as visible to the casual user. The consoles are already running at 1080p for shits sake. I don't think the casual user will pay for 3 more rendering passes and a better physics engine. But Nintendo's doing the smart thing here, they're selling their system with a fucked up new controller, but that controller is actually a Trojan horse for a very powerful home console. So they'll trick folk into buying the most powerful hardware, and folks will think their money was well spent. Sony and Microsoft are both going to have to come up with a fucked up gimick to sell their next consoles they won't be able to do it with updated graphics alone. Also, I predict that within the year Sony will announce that the PSVita will connect to the PS3 just like the WiiU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting take. I will form my opinion once I see actual software running on the machine. The machine could really take off as you say, so long as they actually release it on time. If I remember correctly, the Wii was to come out before the PS3, but managed to came out last, during the current generation releases.

    I guess I am just waiting for everything else to be revealed regarding the system. But alas, waggle is in to stay.

    ReplyDelete