Sunday 5 June 2011

Zombie Game of 2011


Finally, after an all nighter, I am back safe and sound and I think I've rested enough to properly write.  Saturday night, I attended a zombie themed airsoft game at the abandoned Picton hospital.  The game was hosted by several of my teammates.  I spent the whole night running away from the zombie horde while low on ammo, only to finally join the undead ranks.  Overall, the aches and pain all over my body meant that I had a good time.

If I recall correctly, the game started just after 9pm.  I was tasked to be one of the close protection detail for the battle commander of the soldiers who must stay alive while being hunted by the undead.  From what I was told, the game was attended by 100 players.  Two zombies at the beginning did not sound too bad for the 100 armed soldiers, but it was not long before others fell.  Command's first task was to distribute the very limited ammo to each of the sections.  We then proceeded to clear rooms, buildings, and the surrounding areas as darkness descended.

Missions slowly tricked in through the battle net and the comms were jammed with so many communications from the different sections all over the field.  Throughout the whole night, the most ammo I ever had on hand was no more than twenty. As the hours went on, many of our numbers fell to the cold hands of the brain eaters and I eventually joined my fallen comrades sometime after 3:30am.

As with any game with this size of attendees, problems were bound to happen.  To me, it seems like many players signed up and never bothered to read the rules or even familiarize themselves with what this game is about.  As a result, we had reports of players abandoning the game after they became zombies.  With the missing numbers of the undead, the flow of the game was actually stunted somewhat.

Despite some of the drawbacks, I still manage to have fun and I am sure this will not be the last zombie game for me.  I do hope for the sake of future games that the players who do not want to be zombies to not show up to these type of games.

No comments:

Post a Comment