Tuesday 10 May 2011

Music Beta by Google


Google today announced Music Beta, a music streaming service for web browsers, and Android devices.  The idea is for users to upload their music onto this cloud based service and then enjoy it anywhere on a Flash enabled device.  It is also capable of playing it offline by accessing the most recently played music stored in the cache.  Seems to be quite simple, by going to the website, users can first apply for an invite, upload their music, and then enjoy them by getting the Android app.  Users will also be able to create Playlists or use the Instant Mix function.

Unfortunately, this service is currently only available in the US at the moment.  I am very eager to test this service but I will have to wait until its available in Canada.  As some of you who know me personally, I am always with my music and I am always ready to try new devices and services that would allow me easy access to them.

Upon further reading, I found that Google had intended for this service to offer music for sale by partnering with major music labels, on top of the cloud storage.  Towards completion of the project, the labels withdrew from the deal and Google decided to proceed with just the streaming service.  At the moment, this service is being offered for free but for how long is still unclear.

No comments:

Post a Comment