Sunday 29 May 2011

New Listening


This week have been quite uneventful for me.  I am still trying to make the dozens of mosquito bites disappear and work have been surprisingly quite tiring for some reason.  On the upside, I came across two bands that I have been listening to the whole week.  The first one is Krypteria, a metal band from Germany.  I don't know too much about them except that I like their sound.  The music is quite heavy and is also very symphonic and fronted by a female vocalist who is very talented as well.  I have been listening to their latest album, All Beauty Must Die.  All their tracks are sung in English, except for one in Latin.


The other band that I came across is called Chthonic, a death metal band from Taiwan.  I do not know much of them either but unlike Krypteria, this band sang in classical Chinese with the Mandarin pronunciation.  The music is very fast and brutal but what drew me in was the use of the traditional Chinese instrument, the erhu in most of their tracks.  In any case, I don't understand a word being said, but good music is good music, despite whatever the language is.  I have been listening to their 2009 album release, Mirror of Retribution.

Anyway, these are quite the opposite of my usual fare of Japanese and Korean pop listening, but then again, the one band that got me into music in the first place was Metallica, and I have kept up with them to this day.  I guess I never lost the taste of metal after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment